Welcome to part one of Rayell's new season collection! We caught up with Amber, our stylist so she can walk you through our three key trends and her top tips for styling them in store.
Why is breaking up your product into trends important?
When you have an abundance of different products it can become a little confusing, imagine what it is like for the customer! By breaking up your product into trends or categories you can appeal directly to a particular customer or demographic. It shows that your store has something for a variety of different tastes and when customers come into your store, they will naturally be drawn to a display or category, depending on their own personal style. By creating coherent collections in store you create harmony and reduce ‘visual clutter.’ These are just fancy words to say that it makes it easier for the customer to shop because their eye is being guided throughout the displays. It also presents add-on opportunities - when you create these collections the customer can see how everything works together, encouraging the customer to pick up more items! If you need some more info on creating stories, check out this blog here
What is a trend?
A trend is what is happening in the marketplace at this moment in time and is a key opportunity for retailers or stylists to capitalise on any hype or current fashion based need. Trends are generally fast paced, but these days, with a very open global market, many different tastes need to be met.
How do you identify a trend?
- Keep an eye on what is happening in the marketplace
- Look at what key retailers and influencers are doing
- Peruse social media platforms, particularly Pinterest and Instagram
- Look what is happening in overseas markets
- Look to Fashion - Homewares are usually just a season behind
- Look at what is available to you from your product wholesaler!
From these sources you will begin to see common elements - they might be colours, shapes, patterns, textures or actual products. Once you have identified these elements you can start piecing together collections you think would work for your store and your customers.
We have identified three key trends coming out of our new season. We looked at colours, shapes and external trends to come up with: Midnight Garden, Inner Sanctum and Winter Daze.
Explore our trends below!
This look is for our Nursery Stockists. The winter months can sometimes be a little slower as people move indoors. We have a range of products that can bring the outdoors in or cosy up an outside space. This look is about creating a moody winter-festival feel. Think festoon lighting, friends rugged up in textured throws. Drinking hot chocolate (or mulled wine!!) on a crisp winter night.
Top Tips For Styling:
- A simple set of hooks is a great way to show off throws. Extra stock can be housed in a nearby fixture ready for the customer to take.
- Add ons for a plant story like misters, watering cans and propagating jars can increase your transaction value - so keep these nearby!
- Plant themed signs and artworks are a clever add-on to a garden story.
- Don’t forget to add theatre or detail to your story. Festoon lighting, garden tools, gumboots. You can get really creative here.
Watch our stylist in action: Midnight Garden
This collection has been thoughtfully put together for our homewares stockists. Inner Sanctum is a retreat to your own personal space. Layered and textured, detail is everything. Soft eucalypt greens, warm denim blue, neutrals and white create a clean sense of calm. For the rainy days spent curled up in a chair with a book and cup of tea.
Top Tips For Styling:
- White is always a great option for fixturing, it reflects (or bounces) the light around the product and pops the colour.
- If you need to break up the product in a bookcase or fill the space - cover books (just visit your local op shop) in white paper. The simplicity and sameness will make sure attention remains on the product. Add a little plant life, real or faux for detail.
- If you have the space, a throw casually draped over a chair can help show function. You can also add small details such as a pair of slippers or an open book to give a “lived in” element to a display.
Watch our stylist in action: Inner Sanctum
This curated collection is for our design savvy stylists. It is warm and intriguing with a focus on shape. The Mid Century Modern elements create a very trend driven aesthetic, perfect for styling up a home in the current market. The warm tones create a sense of earthen calm as you unwind in the early afternoon sun.
Top Tips For Styling:
- Throws are an essential item for the winter months. Warm textured tones can set the mood draped against a neutral or white background.
- Chunky timber furniture pieces add weight and a Mid Century Modern vibe, for retailers these can be used as a base in displays, with the added bonus of being able to sell them!
- Make sure you hang your planters up, so customers can get a better sense of them in use. Hanging several planters at different staggered heights helps create depth.
- Our large planters are perfect for palms and ferns.
Watch our stylist in action: Winter Daze
We hope you like our new collection as much as we do!
You can shop the new collection here.